Chicken Gyros by Greg Whitehead
Try this quick and easy chicken gyro recipe with yoghurt-marinated chicken tenders, packed with flavour from warm spices, and loaded into a pita wrap with tzatziki sauce and all the fixings you love!
For the chicken…
2 chicken breasts halved
3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
3 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp Italian herbs
1 tbsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp honey
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper
For the tzatziki…
200ml natural yoghurt
½ cucumber quartered
1 garlic clove chopped
1 tbsp honey
Juice of ½ lemon
3 tbsp fresh chopped mint
For the bread…
300g Tipo “00” flour
7g fast acting yeast
2 tbsp semolina
1 tsp Demerara sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
100ml warm water
1) In a large bowl add the yeast, sugar and warm water and leave for 5-10 minutes.
2) Meanwhile mix all the ingredients for the tzatziki together.
3) Cover and set aside in the fridge. Place the chicken in a tub, then mix all the ingredients well, cover and leave to marinate for 2 hours.
4) For the bread, slowly add the flour and semolina and stir regularly. Knead the dough for 10 mins adding a bit more flour if it’s too sticky. Your dough should be smooth and Elastic.
5) Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until your dough has doubled.
6) Place the dough on a clean lightly floured surface. Cut in half and wrap one of the halves in cling film and freeze. This saves you having to make them again the next time you want pittas.
7) Cut the other half in two, and roll them out to the size of your frying pan. Heat your pan to med-high heat and add 1 of the rounds and cook until it starts bubbling. Turn the bread over and do the same before repeating with the other round. Wrap them in tinfoil and set aside. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
8) Heat a pan to med-high heat with a drop of olive oil, add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes each side and transfer to the oven for 10 minutes.
9) Unwrap your bread, add a salad of your
Choice, tzatziki and the chicken. Serve with a fruity couscous & deep fried halloumi bites.